Friday, October 19, 2018

Lesson 2: Failure - A Taught Attitude


It was around 11 PM at night – my wife and our nanny were fast asleep and I was working on some very important and mission-critical ‘spreadsheets and power-points’ on my computer. My wife wanted a break from her daily ritual of putting our 10-month old daughter, Asya to sleep – hence, I got tasked with this. After all, I could make a presentation on any topic under the sun in 20-mins and charm any audience with my oratory – how difficult would it be to put a 10-month old to sleep! (My voice has enabled me to put entire audiences of insomniacs to sleep in minutes – so rest assured, I have enough practice in this!).
Simple enough - mission accomplished in ten minutes! I felt proud of my ‘parenting skills’ as a male (what vanity!) and as soon as Asya was asleep, I got back to my work. After about half an hour, Asya, woke up and crawled towards me with a desiring look on her face. I picked her and put her back on her mattress, patted her and tried to go back to work as fast as possible. She again crawled to me and started crying – being a ‘trained husband’, I immediately checked for signs of potty and (to my relief) found none. I again put Asya back on her mattress and tried to sing a lullaby to put her to sleep. After a couple of tries to come to me, each of which ended in her being put back on the mattress, she started crawling towards the kitchen. By now, I thought she is playing a game – hence, I kept pulling her back from the kitchen and placing her again on the mattress. After another 6-7 times of failed efforts, she waited in her mattress till I was convinced that she wont go anywhere. She even closed her eyes to make me believe this. As soon as I had started concentrating back on my work, she started sliding slowly towards – wait! Not towards the kitchen but to the nanny room. As soon as she came close to the nanny room, she started wailing loudly for waking up the nanny. I rushed towards her since I did not want my wife to wake up (loss of face for a ‘equal opportunities parent’ –“you cant even put her to sleep once? I do it everyday thrice while doing five other things”, said You Know Who!).
Alas! The damage was done and our nanny woke up – she took Asya in her arms and Asya stopped crying and was beaming with joy. Puzzled, the nanny put Asya down on the floor to see what happens next. Asya started crawling at a rapid pace to the kitchen. Both, the nanny and I, realized that this means only one thing – she is HUNGRY. We fed her immediately, after which she slept soundly and I got back to my work.

My reflection: Kids often have a certain goal in mind i.e., food in this case. They try several methods to reach there – when they fail, adapt their moves and techniques. When my daughter could not get her father to give her what she wanted, she tried ‘direct attack’, failing which, she tried to attract the nanny’s attention. How many times would I have tried before giving up? Would I have stepped back, analyzed the situation and then changed efforts – and done so continuously till the goal is achieved? What amazing perseverance! Often, I think we give things to kids too easily – only when they start appreciating the difficulty of getting what they want, kids learn so many lifeskills – and perhaps, the most important one, namely resilience and the importance of NEVER GIVING UP. However, if we don’t allow them opportunities to develop this, they may learn the reverse i.e., getting whatever they want instantly and not even moving a muscle. In today’s day and age of instant gratification, where a click can get everything delivered and a swipe can help meet the most basic desires, isn’t this a dangerous personality flaw which we are nurturing?
Lastly, children don’t give up what they want. A child will bring down the planet to get what he/she wants. It is only later that we teach them to ‘optimize’, to learn what is the best ‘effort-to-reward ratio’. That’s when they learn of ‘giving up’ as a great life-coping mechanism and worse still, of rationalizing failures.

No comments: