Monday, April 9, 2007

A Tale of Death - inspirational poem to 'Live, Laugh & Love'

o The Tale of Death

I lay ill on my bed,
Stricken with unending sorrow,
No solace can the doctors give me,
There might never be a Tomorrow.

And there I see a green light,
My heart misses a beat,
A dark image is hovering,
Death Herself has come to greet

Death says -
“My child, fear me not,
For I am a part of Life,
When all that is yours is gone,
I will still be your Wife

Do you grieve all you leave behind?
Do you miss your glory?
Do you feel alone & unwanted?
With ‘The End’ to your story?”

I say –
Oh Mighty Lady,
I am scared that soon,
My body will be burnt,
And the ‘I’ in me will be gone

I will miss them - hope they miss me all,
I will love them – hope they love me all,
Soon I will be hanging,
A desolate photo on a wall.

She says -
“I can understand,
That one fears what he knows not,
But this is certain,
That the body has to rot

Be you a hero or a sparrow,
Be you a king or a subject,
I am your final Destination,
Then dear friend, why do you object?


Cry not over your going,
Cry if at all, on your doing,
Did you do all you had to,
Or was something left unfinished of your coming?

Did you play with joy?
Did you have a heart?
Did you kiss your wife?
And love her till I do you apart?

Did you work like hell?
Did you go on a high?
Did you laugh on and on,
Till you fall with a sigh?

Did you bleed for the poor?
And work for your country?
Did you do your duties?
To you, your family and the gentry?

Did you thank those who kissed you?
Did you wish those who passed you?
Did you catch the small joys,
That my Sister, Life, tossed you?”

I say –
“Give me another chance,
Oh please do me so,
Leave me alone this time,
Let me have another go.

I promise this time over,
I will do all that you say,
And be very much ready,
On another dark & gloomy day”

She says -
“Often Man understands,
The meaning of Life at Death,
And repents over the past,
On the chances he misseth

I let u go but this one time,
Do what you want,
But I will come again soon,
And then refuse me you can’t”

I am overjoyed on the close shave,
An year of Life do I gain,
Nothing changes & I am back to being myself,
And suddenly, in my chest, I get a pain

On my bed, I lie again,
Waiting for her return,Thinking of all the things to say,
With my life back to earn

And then suddenly He arrives,
All Fair & Handsome,
Taking my hand he looks at me,
Indicating that the exit time has come

I say –
“Who are you lovely angel?
And why are you here?
I expected Her to come - what a relief anyway,
But thanx - for gone is my fear”

He says -
“Don’t you know me, young Man?
I am Him – the Ultimate End
I am Death, the Green Reaper,
Here, for your life to expend

By now, I am full of fear & shock,
But also do I wonder,
Who then was the Lady,
That appeared so much kinder?

He says –
“I know what you are thinking,
And let me tell you this,
I am cruel & spare no one – never!,
Who then was that Dear Miss?

She is my inseparable twin,
My other half ‘n soul mate,
The One who makes me complete,
She was Life, who was here to keep her date

She requested me for a substitution,
And forced me to change my stance,
So that you could be warned & live,
To get another chance

She wanted you to enjoy her,
And understand her to the full,
But you wasted the opportunity, my Man,
She liked you a lot – hence she let you Live
Now, I like you a lot and hence your soul shall you give.

Author: Toshan Tamhane

5 comments:

arclite said...

Amazing in form and content...it leaves me no option but adore it

Fiadon said...

kya baat hai.... arclite was my previous account... once again i love this poem......

ketki Athavale said...

Hi! What a meaningfu poem.. So true man understands the importance life only at death... Its just so amazing the way you described life and its small joys.. :) I was here becoause of pranav.. & I am glad he sent it ...Do Keep writting..

Rutvika said...

Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

you re a genius